field mushrooms?

IMG_2888

I went away up north for a working week, glorious weather and a wonderful catch up with friends amongst the working days. When I returned the garden was running rampant with nasturtiums, I have had some in the garden since the beginning of summer but they do take over and they found the pile of hedge cuttings we had put against the fence and have basically crawled all over them and the path. I don’t mind as it hides the twiggy mess but will have to watch out that they don’t self seed too much. I think I’m fighting a loosing battle! The other thing I noticed in the garden on my return were three mushrooms growing in the lawn. This is a first and I was quite excited so picked them and brought them in, they looked like field mushrooms but I wasn’t going to just slice, cook and eat. We made that mistake once before, quite a few years back and although we didn’t poison ourselves the mushrooms we picked were inedible, you couldn’t even get a knife through them. After that experience we bought a book, Mushrooms by Roger Phillips, considered to be Mr Mushroom in the U.K.  We got the book to help us on our foraging but needless to say we have NOT picked any mushrooms since, until now.

IMG_2880

The thing is, in the book they really do identify as Field Mushrooms but then again… could they be Agaricus semotus; or Yellow Stainer; or Agaricus pilatianus all of which are poisonous. The more you look online the more you think it’s okay, but then in the book the three poisonous possibilities look far more similar than those online. Aaaggggghhh.   I love the fact that nature has given us something on our doorstep, we have already picked copious amounts of blackberries and converted them into blackberry gin for Christmas and to just pick a mushroom and have it on toast for breakfast would be a thing of beauty – so I need to find out if these can be eaten, if anyone can help let me know. They look right and in my heart of hearts I think they are edible but…

IMG_2881

I threw them on the compost!!!

Advertisements

About Ruth

I am an actor and theatre maker, I moved down to the SW of England 19 years ago with my partner and son. Five years ago we bought a chalet on the Rame Peninsula and are fully embracing life of the cliff.
This entry was posted in home, Travel and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to field mushrooms?

  1. shazza says:

    I found some that looked just like yours and put them in a spagbol . I survived. 🙂

  2. Rip says:

    Those look edible. The stem does not have any bulbs or ridges and the gills are brown/black. To test: Take a tiny bit and put it on your tongue. If you get a burning sensation don’t eat it. If not, try a bigger piece. A small piece will not kill you.

  3. Pingback: Field mushrooms x2 | seafieldview

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s